Sunday, March 9, 2008

Tragedy in Jerusalem; New Apartment


The above photo was taken as I began my Shabbat walk last Saturday. On Wednesday night approximately 20 of us from Christian Friends of Israel attended the opening of a musical drama called The Covenant. The Covenant is performed by believers in Israel and designed for the Jews to learn about their heritage and God's Covenant with Abraham. Songs and narration guide the audience through the scriptures and all the way to the rebirth of the Nation Israel in 1948. It was a wonderful time and we certainly enjoyed the evening. I even bumped into two good friends from North Texas who had just led a tour group in Israel. You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Psalm 16:11
However the next night in Jerusalem turned joy into tragedy when 8 young men were murdered while studying the Torah at Mercaz HaRav Yeshiva. Mercaz is a Yeshiva known for the highest achievers, the best of the best. Just young men reading their Bible. The murderer actually came from Jebl Mukaber which is the neighborhood adjacent to East Talpiot where I currently live. Just like on 9/11, the Palestinians celebrated in the streets passing out "sweets" and dancing. These are the people that the US are trying to force Israel to make "peace" with. Secretary of State Rice left Jerusalem just a few hours earlier. I will say to God my Rock, “Why have You forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?” Psalm 42:9
The God of Israel, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is in control. His word will not return void. There will not be peace until the Lord Jesus returns to this earth. He is sitting at the right hand of God awaiting the appointed time of His return. Then all His enemies will be "under His footstool". The LORD said to my Lord, "Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool." Psalm 110:1
Below is the first of many street signs photographed on my walk from East Talpiot to my new apartment in the German Colony. Adam is a good Biblical name for a street. However, Eve street was not close by which is not good. And the LORD God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” Genesis 2:18
Below are pink almond blossoms on my walk. One site I "googled" said white blossoms are generally sweet almonds and pink blossoms are bitter almonds. Interesting if it's true.

More Biblical streets. Issachar was the 5th son of Jacob birthed by Leah. And God listened to Leah, and she conceived and bore Jacob a fifth son. Leah said, “God has given me my wages, because I have given my maid to my husband.” So she called his name Issachar. Genesis 29:17

Leah's maiden, Zilpah, carried Gad and bore Jacob a son. Then Leah said, “A troop comes!” So she called his name Gad. Genesis 30:10-11 Yehuda is Hebrew for Judah, Jacob's 4th son by Leah. Of course the Lord Jesus descends from Judah through the line of King David. The scepter shall not depart from Judah... Genesis 49:10. In John's vision of the Revelation, he wept because he believed that no one was worthy to take the scroll of the earth from God. Only the Lord Jesus qualifies. But one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep. Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals.” Revelation 5:5

Rachel's hand maiden, Bilhah, carried Naphtali. The tribe of Naphtali settled in the area that we know as the Galilee. “The land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, By the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles: The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light, And upon those who sat in the region and shadow of death Light has dawned.” Matthew 4:15-16 Only in Jerusalem can you give driving directions like this: "Go down Gad until it stops. Then turn left on Gad's older brother Judah for a couple of blocks and then turn left on Judah's younger brother Naphtali which runs parallel with Naptali's older brother Issachar, who is actually Judah's younger brother but has the same mother who is buried in Hebron...etc.

Currently I am staying in a CFI apartment in East Talpiot. Another volunteer is currently in a CFI apartment that is being sold by the landlord and must vacate. My apartment was a good location and fit for her, so I began looking at apartments in the last couple of weeks. I was hoping to be a little closer to the City Center so I could walk to work more often. I found a small apt in a popular little neighborhood called the German Colony. Below is Emek Refa'im Street, the main street in the German Colony (HaMoshava HaGermanit).

The German Colony is known for popular restaurants and coffee shops. I look forward to trying the Buffalo Steakhouse below.

Bagel shops in Jerusalem are more like what we would call a deli. You can get an egg salad sandwich on different types of bagels or bread. If you want egg salad.

Below is a Japanese sushi place in Jerusalem. I will probably try this place after all the other restaurants have completely closed down, been boarded up, and I'm out of peanut butter.

McDonald's in the German Colony. It was open on Saturday and I was hungry from my walk. Is it McLawful for McDonald's to be open on the Sabbath? That may not be scripture.

This is the grocery store where I will shop. Notice the Pillsbury dough boy is international.

A falafel and shawarma shop. I'm in tall cotton now.

Pizza.

Competing falafel shop. That's good. The coffee shop is where I met my friend from Arutz Sheva a few weeks ago. He's the one who dedicated a room to Kay in a girl's school in Bet El. I hope to go see it in late March after Resurrection Sunday.

A main road off of Emek Refa'im is Rachel Immenu (Mother Rachel). I'm two blocks away.

Another coffee shop. A few years ago Starbucks came to Israel but could not make it for the number of local coffee shops. I don't drink fancy coffee but a lot of the young girls at CFI do.

The German Colony also enjoys God's beauty.

Since Ruth was a Gentile living with her Jewish mother-in-law this street sign seems appropriate. ...For wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, And your God, my God. Ruth 1:16

The back of the apartment building next to mine.

My new address will be on Haim Bajayo street. It actually is a small compound of 12 buildings that form a private park in the middle. Under the compound is a complete parking garage where I will get a designated parking place. Since parking locations are hard to find in The German Colony, I may get a few requests to borrow the spot. That's bseder (ok).


Below is the private park in the compound.

Still looking inside the compound just a little further west.

I'm the second floor of a 3-story building. That is my picture window that is closed but when I am there it will always be open. I like looking out. I have already met my neighbors below and above me. They all speak English. I had a lengthy conversation Saturday with my upstairs neighbor. She is the only sister of the only Israeli killed in the London bus bombings two years ago. After that tragedy, she lost her father. After listening to her, I told her about Kay. She had tears in her eyes. Here we were comforting each other and I have not even moved in yet. Word had spread quickly that a "goy" (Gentile) had rented the apartment. Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted. Matthew 5:4.

My view from the balcony.

Living room.

Smaller bedroom.

Larger bedroom. Overall, I don't believe the apartment is any larger than my current one. It does cost a little more because of location, location, location.

Looking out the smaller bedroom window at mature olive and date palm trees.

Sidewalk and tree on the other side of Rachel Immenu.

Below is the closest bus stop to my apartment. However, if I walk two blocks there will be a lot more buses. Jerusalem is stocked full of park benches. It makes a long walk like Saturday's very enjoyable to be able to rest once in a while.

Still taking photos while waiting on a taxi to go on to work.

Zion's Square on Shabbat in Jerusalem at the bottom of Ben Yehudah and Jaffa Road. Any other time this location is packed with Israelis, tourists, police, street musicians, demonstrators, etc. About halfway up Ben Yehudah is CFI's bank where I make bi-weekly deposits.

As tragic as Thursday night was that causes a small nation of Jewish people to grieve, our responsibility as Christians is to stand firm, watch, and pray. The Lord Jesus talked about these end times in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21. In Mark's Gospel, the Lord Jesus states that many tragic things must occur. But when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be troubled; for such things must happen, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be earthquakes in various places, and there will be famines and troubles. These are the beginnings of sorrows. Mark 13:7-8. But look at the magnificent promise for those that endure to the end. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. And then He will send His angels, and gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest part of earth to the farthest part of heaven. Mark 13:26-27. Maranatha. Come quickly, Lord Jesus. ... Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus! Revelation 22:20

No comments: